Sunday, July 13, 2008

Who is he?

How does this sound. "I don't know very English, but I know as much as write to you." People who know English will at least giggle. But this was written by no small man. This was written by the very man who gave this famous speech "I warn you, I am just beginning! If there is in your hearts a vestige of love for your country, love for humanity, love for justice, listen carefully... I know that the regime will try to suppress the truth by all possible means; I know that there will be a conspiracy to bury me in oblivion. But my voice will not be stifled – it will rise from my breast even when I feel most alone, and my heart will give it all the fire that callous cowards deny it... Condemn me. It does not matter. History will absolve me".
This is part of the letter written by Fidel Castro to ???. He wrote to Franklin D Roosevelt when he was twelve!!!. The purpose?? He wanted a $10 bill which is in green color. !!! Have a look at the letter Mr. Castro wrote to Mr. Roosevelt.
I guess had Mr. Roosevelt sent Mr. Castro the $10 bill the latter would not have gone against the Americans. A $10 would have created a soft corner and a good image of the Americans in the mind of Mr. Castro and he would not have criticized the Stars and Stripes nation in full public view. Had Mr. Roosevelt known even a bit about what Mr. Castro could do to the Americans he would have sent him a box full of $10 bills. :-)

2 comments:

Henry Louis Gomez said...

First of all Castro was 13 or 14 years old when he wrote the letter though he tells FDR that he's twelve. Dr. Antonio de la Cova, a Cuban-born American-educated Historian says this is the first ever documented lie of fidel castro in his book "Moncada".

Secondly $10 at the time was like $100 today. Could you imagine a foreign kid writing president Bush to send him a c-note?

The kid already had delusions of grandeur even at an early age. Interestingly he tells FDR that he'll show him where Cuba's natural resources are. At that age he was already thinking about exploiting his country for personal gain. A pattern he'd follow again and again over his lifetime.

Vijay said...

Ha ha.. i guessed you should be from Florida :-). Well I just took interest to know about Mr. Castro and found this amusing letter. I feel every national leader, no matter living or dead, is having/has had tough times getting a good name even in their own country. But I appreciate the guts with which he fought the Americans in the Bay of Pigs and was also equally interested to know of the 600 odd attempts to end Mr. Castro's life by the CIA and CIA trained.
Is he a nice person? I have no idea but he was brave. I like that much in him.
I know you are having tons and tons of points against Mr. Castro let me know a few so I can learn more about him. :-).
Nice to know you mate. Thanks for stopping by my blog.